Terms of Service
FREE BOOK OFFER
This offer has now ended. All users who have signed up for a Readers First account prior to the date 21/11/2017 will have the free book offer honoured unless otherwise set out by the terms and conditions below. Any outstanding free book offers must have been claimed by 21/12/2017. The Free Book Offer Terms and Conditions are included for reference at the foot of these Terms of Service.
OTHER APPLICABLE TERMS
- our Privacy Notice (see below), which sets out the terms on which we process any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us. By using our site, you consent to such processing and you warrant that all data provided by you is accurate;
- our Acceptable Use Policy (see below), which sets out the permitted uses and prohibited uses of our site. When using our site, you must comply with this Acceptable Use Policy.
We do not currently sell goods or services from our site. For your convenience, links to reputable retailer sites, for example Amazon.co.uk, may be provided to allow you to purchase the books discussed on our site. We assume no responsibility for the websites linked on our site. Such links should not be interpreted as endorsement by us of those linked websites. We will not be liable for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
INFORMATION ABOUT US
www.readersfirst.co.uk is a site operated by NetGalley UK Ltd (we, us, our). a UK company whose registered office is: ℅ Fiander/Tovell & Co, Stage Gates House, 63/64 The Avenue, Southampton SO17 1XS.
CHANGES TO THESE TERMS
- Please check this page from time to time to take notice of any changes we made, as they are binding on you.
CHANGES TO OUR SITE
- We may update our site from time to time, and may change the content at any time. However, please note that any of the content on our site may be out of date at any given time, and we are under no obligation to update it.
- We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will be free from errors or omissions.
ACCESSING OUR SITE
- Our site is made available free of charge.
- We do not guarantee that our site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. Access to our site is permitted on a temporary basis. We may suspend, withdraw, discontinue or change all or any part of our site without notice. We will not be liable to you if for any reason our site is unavailable at any time or for any period.
- You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to our site.
- Our site is directed to people residing in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland. We do not represent that content available on or through our site is appropriate or available in other locations and prizes will not be awarded outside of these locations. We may limit the availability of our site or any service or product described on our site to any person or geographic area at any time. If you choose to access our site from outside the United Kingdom or Republic of Ireland, you do so at your own risk.
YOUR ACCOUNT AND PASSWORD
- If you choose, or you are provided with, a user identification code, password or any other piece of information as part of our security procedures, you must treat such information as confidential. You must not disclose it to any third party.
- If you know or suspect that anyone other than you knows your user identification code or password, you must promptly notify us at email@example.com.
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
- We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our site, and in the material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
- You may print off one copy, and may download extracts, of any page(s) from our site for your personal use and you may draw the attention of others within your organisation to content posted on our site.
- You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.
- Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of content on our site must always be acknowledged.
- You must not use any part of the content on our site for commercial purposes without obtaining a licence to do so from us or our licensors.
NO RELIANCE ON INFORMATION
- The content on our site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our site.
- Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on our site, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our site is accurate, complete or up-to-date.
LIMITATION OF OUR LIABILITY
- To the extent permitted by law, we exclude all conditions, warranties, representations or other terms which may apply to our site or any content on it, whether express or implied.
We will not be liable to any user for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- use of, or inability to use, our site; or
- use of or reliance on any content displayed on our site.
If you are a business user, please note that in particular, we will not be liable for:
- loss of profits, sales, business, or revenue;
- business interruption;
- loss of anticipated savings;
- loss of business opportunity, goodwill or reputation; or
- any indirect or consequential loss or damage.
If you are a consumer user, please note that we only provide our site for domestic and private use. You agree not to use our site for any commercial or business purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
We will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a virus, distributed denial-of-service attack, or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other proprietary material due to your use of our site or to your downloading of any content on it, or on any website linked to it.
We assume no responsibility for the content of websites linked on our site. Such links should not be interpreted as endorsement by us of those linked websites. We will not be liable for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them.
Should we ever sell goods or services from our site, different limitations and exclusions of liability will apply.
UPLOADING CONTENT TO OUR SITE
- Whenever you make use of a feature that allows you to upload content to our site, or to make contact with other users of our site, you must comply with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy (see below).
- You warrant that any such contribution does comply with those standards, and you will be liable to us and indemnify us for any breach of that warranty. If you are a consumer user, this means you will be responsible for any loss or damage we suffer as a result of your breach of warranty.
- Any content you upload to our site will be considered non-confidential and non-proprietary. You retain all of your ownership rights in your content, but you are required to grant us and other users of our site an unlimited licence to use, store and copy that content and to distribute and make it available to third parties. As such, you are free to distribute and share your content as you wish, for example to share your book reviews on other sites, social media and blogs and we are also free to share those reviews, for example with the book’s publishers.
- We also have the right to disclose your identity to any third party who is claiming that any content posted or uploaded by you to our site constitutes a violation of their intellectual property rights, or of their right to privacy.
- We will not be responsible, or liable to any third party, for the content or accuracy of any content posted by you or any other user of our site.
- We have the right to remove any posting or contribution you make on our site if, in our opinion, your post or contribution does not comply with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy (see below).
- The views expressed by other users on our site do not represent our views or values.
- You are solely responsible for securing and backing up your content.
- We do not guarantee that our site will be secure or free from bugs or viruses.
- You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programmes and platform in order to access our site. You should use your own virus protection software.
- You must not misuse our site by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to our site, the server on which our site is stored or any server, computer or database connected to our site. You must not attack our site via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack. By breaching this provision, you would commit a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use our site will cease immediately.
LINKING TO OUR SITE
- You may link to our site, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it.
- You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
- You must not establish a link to our site in any website that is not owned by you.
- Our site must not be framed on any other site.
- We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
- The website in which you are linking must comply in all respects with the content standards set out in our Acceptable Use Policy (see below).
- If you wish to make any use of content on our site other than that set out above, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
THIRD PARTY LINKS AND RESOURCES IN OUR SITE
- Where our site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only.
- We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources.
For details of our registered trade marks please contact email@example.com.
To contact us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for visiting our site.
1.1 This privacy notice (Privacy Notice) sets out the ways in which we, NetGalley UK Ltd (we, us, our), collect and use your personal data (your personal information) in connection with www.readersfirst.co.uk (“our site”). It also explains what rights you have to access or change your personal data.
2. ABOUT US
2.1 We are a UK company with our registered address as set out below.
2.2 You can contact us as follows:
NetGalley UK Ltd.
℅ Fiander/Tovell & Co
Stage Gates House
63/64 The Avenue
Southampton SO17 1XS
3. INFORMATION WE MAY COLLECT ABOUT YOU
3.1 Information that you provide to us
3.1.1 We will collect any information that you provide to us when you:
(a) are corresponding with us over the phone, by email, on our website or at Readers First events or otherwise;
(b) fill in details on our site or otherwise use our site’s functions, such as when you register to use our site and receive our newsletter, subscribe to our service, search for a book, claim a book, participate in discussion boards or forums, provide a book impression or review, use the social media functions associated with our site, enter a competition, promotion or survey, or use other activities or services we may add to our site, and when you report a problem with our site.
(c) subscribe to our mailing lists.
3.1.2 The information you provide to us might include your name, address, email address, phone number, and if you’re creating an account you may also provide a password, personal description and photograph, gender, date of birth, family details, employment and education details, reading habits and preferences and other similar information that at times may be requested or volunteered.
3.1.3 From time to time we might ask if you would be willing to participate in our surveys; if you agree, we will also collect any information that you provide as part of that survey.
3.2 Information we collect about you
3.2.1 We will collect any information contained in any correspondence between us. For example, if you contact us using a query button on our site or by email or telephone, we will keep a record of that correspondence.
3.2.2 We will collect information that you upload or post to your website account and/or any correspondence or interactions that you may have with other website account holders.
3.2.3 We will also collect certain information about how you use our site and the device that you use to access our site. This might include your IP address, geographical location, device information (such as your hardware model, mobile network information, unique device identifiers), browser type, referral source, length of visit to the website, number of page views, the search queries you make on the website and similar information. This information may be collected by Google Analytics or another third-party website analytics service provider on our behalf and/or may be collected using cookies. For more information on cookies please read paragraph 6 below.
3.3 Information we receive from third parties
3.3.1 In certain circumstances, we might receive information about you from third parties if you have indicated to such third party that you would like to hear from us.
3.4 Information you share publicly
All information or contributions that you make in public areas of our site, including uploading reviews, reader comments, forum entries, etc., may be accessible without restriction by other visitors to our site. This Privacy Notice does not cover any of this publicly shared information. Therefore, be careful not to share personal information that you do not want to be publicly known.
4. HOW WE USE INFORMATION ABOUT YOU AND RECIPIENTS OF YOUR INFORMATION
4.1 We will use your information for the purposes listed below either on the basis of:
4.1.1 performance of your contract with us and the provision of our services to you;
4.1.2 your consent (where we request it); or
4.1.3 our legitimate interests (see paragraph 4.3 below).
4.2 We may use your information for the following purposes:
4.2.1 to provide you with access to our site in a manner convenient and optimal and with personalised content relevant to you including sharing your information with our site hosts and developers (on the basis of our legitimate interest to ensure our site is presented in an effective and optimal manner);
4.2.2 to keep in contact with you about our news, events, new website features or services or new books that we believe may interest you, provided that we have the requisite permission to do so, (either on the basis of your consent where we have requested it, or our legitimate interests to provide you with marketing communications where we may lawfully do so);
4.2.3 to send you our newsletters provided that we have your consent to do so (currently we use “MailChimp” to manage the delivery of our newsletter as well as for analysis of newsletter data such as the open rate of this newsletter. MailChimp is part of The Rocket Science Group, LLC, 512 Means Street, Ste 404 Atlanta, GA 30318, USA. This Privacy Notice does not apply to Mailchimp but the company is a member of the Safe Harbor Agreement, a special data protection agreement between the European Union and the United States. For more information about the privacy policies of MailChimp, go to http://mailchimp.com/legal/privacy/)
4.2.4 ;to send you the books you win or claim from our site by providing your name and address details, and if necessary email address, to publishers or publishers’ warehouses and/or delivery service providers, and as necessary to provide customer support to ensure you receive said books;
4.2.5 to share your information with selected third parties such as publishing partners and authors, to enable them to contact you with information about things that may interest you (where we have your consent to do so);
4.2.6 to provide customer service and support (on the basis of our contract with you), deal with enquiries or complaints about our site and share your information with our website developer and IT support provider, as necessary to provide customer support (on the basis of our legitimate interest in providing the correct services to our site users);
4.2.7 to carry out aggregated and anonymised research about general engagement with our site (on the basis of our legitimate interest in providing the right kinds of products and services to our site users);
4.2.8 to protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, unauthorised, or illegal activity, including without limitation plagiarism and identity fraud (on the basis of our legitimate interests to operate a safe and lawful business or where we have a legal obligation to do so);
4.2.9 to enable us to comply with our policies and procedures and enforce our legal rights, or to protect the rights, property or safety of our employees and share your information with our technical and legal advisors (on the basis of our legitimate interests to operate a safe and lawful business or where we have a legal obligation to do so); and
4.2.10 to enable us to build profiles of ‘lookalike’ customers for advertising and marketing purposes on social media (on the basis of our legitimate business interest).
4.3 Where we refer to using your information on the basis of our “legitimate interests”, we mean our legitimate business interests in conducting and managing our business and our relationship with you, including the legitimate interest we have in:
4.3.1 personalising, enhancing, modifying or otherwise improving the services and/or communications that we provide to you;
4.3.2 detecting and preventing fraud and operating a safe and lawful business;
4.3.3 improving security and optimisation of our network, sites and services;
4.3.4 conducting business with suppliers and purchasers.
4.4 Where we use your information for our legitimate interests, we make sure that we take into account any potential impact that such use may have on you. Our legitimate interests don’t automatically override yours and we won’t use your information if we believe your interests should override ours unless we have other grounds to do so (such as your consent or a legal obligation). If you have any concerns about our processing please refer to details of “Your Rights” in paragraph 9 below.
5. WHO WE MIGHT SHARE YOUR INFORMATION WITH
5.1 In connection with the purposes and on the lawful grounds described above and in addition to the recipients of your information as described above, we may share your personal information with third parties that we work with such as:
5.1.1 third parties we work with to deliver our business (including for example, hosting or operating our site and our databases, site analytics, providing technical assistance and support, providing newsletter services), including Readers First GmbH (the Data Processor), a division of Ullstein Buchverlage GmbH, who provide our site with development, hosting and data processing and storage services.
5.1.2 ;any selected third party that you consent to our sharing your information with for marketing purposes;
5.1.3 any prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets, only in the event that we decide to sell or buy any business or assets;
5.1.4 any joint-venture partner or other partner in a commercial partnership related to Readers First to whom we transfer the running (in whole or part) of our site; and
5.1.5 any other third parties (including legal or other advisors, regulatory authorities, courts and government agencies) where necessary to enable us to enforce our legal rights, or to protect the rights, property or safety of our employees or where such disclosure may be permitted or required by law.
5.2 We require third parties to maintain appropriate security to protect your information from unauthorised access or processing.
6.2 Cookies enables us to estimate our audience size and usage patterns, store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our site according to your individual interests; and recognize you when you return to our site.
"DSID" Doubleclick ID, see https://policies.google.com/technologies/types (duration 14 days*)
"IDE" Doubleclick ID, see https://policies.google.com/technologies/types (duration 434 days*)
"_gid" Google Analytics (GA) Tracking ID, see https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cookie-usage (duration 24 hours*)
"-gat-UA-48223844-3" GA Performance Throttling (duration 1 minute*)
"-ga" Used to distinguish users (duration 2 years*)
"optimizelyBuckets" Optimizely Test-Variant shown to user, see https://help.optimizely.com/Set_Up_Optimizely/Cookies_and_localStorage_in_the_Optimizely_snippet (duration 10 years*)
"optimizelySegments" Optimizely Segments for test (duration 10 years*)
"optimizelyEndUserId" Optimizely User Id (duration 10 years*)
"-vorablesen-session" Session ID for App, managing user login status. encrypted information (duration unlimited)
"cookieconsent_dismissed" When cookie consent banner clicked. (duration 365 days)
"remember-user-token" Encrypted user identifier for automatic login. (duration 14 days)
"AMP TOKEN" Contains a token that can be used to retrieve a client ID from AMP client ID service. (duration 30 seconds to 1 year)
"gac" Contains campaign related information for the user (duration 90 days)
NB times marked * are approx. and can be changed by cookie issuer any time.
6.6 To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, visit www.aboutcookies.org or www.allaboutcookies.org. To opt out of being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites visit http://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
7. HOW WE LOOK AFTER YOUR INFORMATION AND HOW LONG WE KEEP IT FOR
7.1 We operate a policy of “privacy by design” by looking for opportunities to minimise the amount of personal information we hold about you. We use appropriate technological and operational security measures to protect your information against any unauthorised access or unlawful use, such as:
7.1.1 ensuring the physical security of our offices, warehouses or other sites;
7.1.2 ensuring the physical and digital security of our equipment and devices by using appropriate password protection [and encryption];
7.1.3 maintaining a data protection policy for, and delivering data protection training to, our employees;
7.1.4 limiting access to your personal information to those in our company who need to use it in the course of their work.
7.2 We will retain your information for as long as is necessary to provide you with the services that you have requested from us or for as long as we reasonably require to retain the information for our lawful business purposes, such as for the purposes of exercising our legal rights or where we are permitted to do so for purposes of academic, literary expression and research purposes. We operate a data retention policy and look to find ways to reduce the amount of information we hold about you and the length of time that we need to keep it.
8. INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS OF YOUR INFORMATION
8.1 Our company is located in the UK. Our Data Processor, Readers First GmbH, a division of Ullstein Buchverlage GmbH, is based in Berlin, Germany.
8.2 We take all steps necessary to ensure that any of your information is adequately protected and processed in accordance with this Privacy Notice, including aiming to ensure that all data is stored and processed within the European Union or otherwise in the USA, and by using all appropriate cross-border transfer solutions such as the European Commission's Standard Contractual Clauses or the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework;
9. YOUR RIGHTS TO THE INFORMATION WE HOLD ABOUT YOU
9.1 You have certain rights in respect of the information that we hold about you, including:
9.1.1 the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes;
9.1.2 the right to request access to the information that we hold about you; and
9.1.3 in certain circumstances, the right to ask us to stop processing information about you.
9.2 You may exercise your rights above by contacting us using the details in paragraph 2 of this Privacy Notice, or in the case of preventing processing for newsletter activities also by unchecking certain boxes on our site, or by clicking Unsubscribe on any email marketing correspondence that you receive from us.
9.3 Please note that we may need to retain certain information for our own record-keeping and research purposes. We may also need to send you service-related communications relating to your website user account even when you have requested not to receive marketing communications.
9.4 From 25 May 2018, in accordance with new data protection laws which will be in force from that date, you will have certain additional rights in respect of the information that we hold about you, including:
9.4.1 the right to lodge a complaint about us to the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (https://ico.org.uk/) or the relevant authority in your country of work or residence;
9.4.2 the right to withdraw your consent for our use of your information in reliance of your consent (refer to paragraph 4 to see when we are relying on your consent), which you can do by contacting us using any of the details at the top of this Privacy Notice;
9.4.3 the right to object to our using your information on the basis of our legitimate interests (refer to paragraph 4 above to see when we are relying on our legitimate interests);
9.4.4 the right to receive a copy of any information we hold about you in connection with the performance of our contract with you or on the basis of your consent (or request that we transfer this to another service provider) in a structured, commonly-used, machine readable format; and
9.4.5 the right to ask us to limit or cease processing or erase information we hold about you in certain circumstances.
9.5 You may contact us with the details at the top of this Privacy Notice if you wish to action any of these additional rights and we will comply with your requests unless we have a lawful reason not to do so.
10. CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
10.1 We may make changes to this Privacy Notice from time to time. We will post any changes to our site, or notify you of any material changes by e-mail.
This Privacy Notice was last updated on 1st October 2018.
ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY
This acceptable use policy sets out the terms between you and us under which you may access our website www.readersfirst.co.uk (our site). This acceptable use policy applies to all users of, and visitors to, our site.
www.readersfirst.co.uk is a site operated by NetGalley UK Ltd (we, us, our), a UK company whose registered office is: ℅ Fiander/Tovell & Co, Stage Gates House, 63/64 The Avenue, Southampton SO17 1XS.
You may use our site only for lawful purposes. You may not use our site:
- in any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation;
- in any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect;
- for the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way;
- to send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which does not comply with our content standards below;
- to transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam); or
- to knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
You also agree:
not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
- any part of our site;
- any equipment or network on which our site is stored;
- any software used in the provision of our site; or
- any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
We may from time to time provide interactive services on our site, including, without limitation:
- chat rooms;
- bulletin boards;
- book review or other forums; or
- other communicative or interactive services
Where we do provide any interactive service, we will provide clear information to you about the kind of service offered, if it is moderated and what form of moderation is used (including whether it is human or technical).
We will do our best to assess any possible risks for users (and in particular, for children) from third parties when they use any interactive service provided on our site, and we will decide in each case whether it is appropriate to use moderation of the relevant service (including what kind of moderation to use) in the light of those risks. However, we are under no obligation to oversee, monitor or moderate any interactive service we provide on our site, and we expressly exclude our liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of any interactive service by a user in contravention of our content standards, whether the service is moderated or not.
The use of any of our interactive services by a minor is subject to the consent of their parent or guardian. We advise parents who permit their children to use an interactive service that it is important that they communicate with their children about their safety online, as moderation is not foolproof. Minors who are using any interactive service should be made aware of the potential risks to them.
Where we do moderate an interactive service, we will normally provide you with a means of contacting the moderator, should a concern or difficulty arise.
- These content standards apply to any and all material which you contribute to our site ("contributions"), and to any interactive services associated with it.
- You must comply with the spirit and the letter of the following standards. The standards apply to each part of any contribution as well as to its whole.
- be accurate (where they state facts);
- be genuinely held (where they state opinions), and in the case of blurbs and book reviews be your own original non-plagiarized opinions, written to genuinely represent opinions on and facets of the book, and not in any other way faked or falsified for the purpose of gaining points, rewards or otherwise; and
- comply with applicable law in the UK and Republic of Ireland and in any country from which they are posted.
Contributions must not:
- contain any material which is defamatory of any person;
- contain any material which is obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory;
- promote sexually explicit material;
- promote violence;
- promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- infringe any copyright, database right or trade mark of any other person;
- be likely to deceive any person;
- be made in breach of any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence;
- promote any illegal activity;
- be threatening, abuse or invade another’s privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;
- be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
- be used to impersonate any person, or to misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person;
- give the impression that they emanate from us, if this is not the case; and
- advocate, promote or assist any unlawful act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse.
SUSPENSION AND TERMINATION
- We will determine, in our discretion, whether there has been a breach of this acceptable use policy through your use of our site. When a breach of this policy has occurred, we may take such action as we deem appropriate.
- immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use our site;
- immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any posting or material uploaded by you to our site;
- issue of a warning to you;
- legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all costs on an indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from the breach;
- further legal action against you; and/or
- disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably feel is necessary.
We exclude liability for actions taken in response to breaches of this acceptable use policy. The responses described in this policy are not limited, and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
CHANGES TO THE ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY
We may revise this acceptable use policy at any time by amending this page. You are expected to check this page from time to time to take notice of any changes we make, as they are legally binding on you. Some of the provisions contained in this acceptable use policy may also be superseded by provisions or notices published elsewhere on our site.
READERS FIRST PRIZE DRAW TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The Readers First website hosts a weekly prize draw (the ‘Draw’) in which up to 100 free copies are given away of each promoted book title. Entry to the Draw is open to all users who register at readersfirst.co.uk and submit a short review (a ‘First Impression’) of the provided extract of the promoted book title via readersfirst.co.uk.
The promoter of the Draw is: NetGalley UK Ltd, a UK company whose registered office is: ℅ Fiander/Tovell & Co, Stage Gates House, 63/64 The Avenue, Southampton SO17 1XS.
The Draw is open to UK and Republic of Ireland residents aged 18 or over. We will not award prizes to people residing outside of the UK or Republic of Ireland nor ship prizes to addresses outside of the UK or Republic of Ireland. The Promoter is entitled to request proof of age should it be required.
There is no entry fee and no purchase necessary to enter this Draw. Entries are restricted to one entry for each registered user for each book in each Draw. i.e. where a Draw contains more than one book, a user may enter the Draw for all the offered books.
Route to entry for the Draw and details of how to enter are via readersfirst.co.uk
No responsibility can be accepted for Draw entries not properly submitted via readersfirst.co.uk or not received for whatever reason. First Impressions must be of the minimum length specified on readersfirst.co.uk, must be relevant to the book extract shown, and indecent, offensive or otherwise inappropriate entries will not be considered (see Acceptable Use Policy below). Readers First decision about the acceptability of entries will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
The start day of each weekly Draw is on Monday, from 00:01 AM. The closing day of each weekly Draw is the following Monday at 23:59. Winners are generally drawn on the next Tuesday.
The promoter reserves the right to cancel or amend the Draw and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of the promoter’s control, or for any other reason at their sole discretion.
No cash alternative to the designated book prize will be offered. The book prize is not transferable. The book prize is subject to availability and we reserve the right to substitute the book prize with another of equivalent value without giving notice.
Draw winners will be chosen from all correctly submitted Draw entries received and verified by the Promoter and/or its agents.
The winner will be notified by email within 7 days of the Draw closing date.
The promoter will request the despatch of book copies from publishers as soon as possible, but delivery dates will vary and be on the publishers and stock availability. Where a publisher has specified that a book will be supplied as an ebook, all issues relating to the distribution of the ebook, including but not limited to file delivery, device and format compatibility, digital rights management and other distribution-restricting software, availability of support and helplines, and the transmission of viruses and other harmful technology, will not be the responsibility of Readers First and queries should be directed to the relevant publisher.
The promoter’s decision in respect of all matters to do with the Draw will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
By entering this Draw, an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by these terms and conditions. Entrants who do not follow these terms and conditions will not be eligible for book prizes and may be prevented from entering future Draws.
The Draw and these terms and conditions will be governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.
Any personal data relating to Draw winners or any other entrants will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party except as required to provide the services, products and correct functioning of Readers First as described in the Privacy Notice above.
By entering the Draw, entrants agree that any personal information provided in relation to their entry may be held and used by the Promoter to administer the Draw.
Any questions on these terms and conditions should be emailed to email@example.com
Insofar as is permitted by law, the Promoter, its agents or distributors will not in any circumstances be responsible or liable to compensate the Draw winners or accept any liability for any loss, damage, personal injury or death occurring as a result of taking up the book prize except where it is caused by the negligence of the Promoter, its agents or distributors or that of their employees. Your statutory rights are not affected.
READERS FIRST REDEMPTION OF POINTS TERMS AND CONDITIONS
The Readers First website provides users with the opportunity to earn reward points that may, when a sufficient number have accrued as designated by Readers First and subject to change at the discretion of Readers First, be redeemed against the books available in the Draw. As such, entry to the Draw by submitting a First Impression is not required, but all relevant and applicable Terms and Conditions of the Readers First Prize Draws Terms and Conditions as in Clauses 1-18 above will apply. In particular, the user’s attention is drawn to Clauses 2, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 and 18.
FREE BOOK OFFER TERMS AND CONDITIONS (offer now closed, for historic reference only)
All newly registered users of readersfirst.co.uk prior to 21/11/2017 will be entitled to claim one free book (with free P&P) from a selection provided by Readers First (the “Offer”).
There are no cash or alternative awards. The choice of books offered is solely at the discretion of Readers First and may vary over time and with book availability.
This Offer is open to UK and Republic of Ireland residents, aged 18 and over, registering for the first time at readersfirst.co.uk. Only one book will be awarded per person under the Offer. Multiple registrations by the same person using different email addresses will not be entitled to additional free books. Only one book may be claimed under this Offer per household.
This is an ongoing promotion but can be closed at any time with immediate effect at Readers First's sole discretion. New users should claim their book within 28 days of receiving the Offer email.
On notification of your choice of book, Readers First will arrange for despatch of your book within 28 days, dependent on the availability of book stock. Despatch will be by standard second class post and to private UK and Republic of Ireland addresses only.
By registering for the Offer, you agree to let Readers First contact you for the purposes of administering the Offer and that any personal information provided by you may be held and used by Readers First to administer the Offer. Any personal data will be used solely in accordance with current UK data protection legislation and will not be disclosed to a third party without your prior consent.
Any queries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This Offer is governed by English law and any disputes will be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.
Readers First reserves the right to cancel or amend the Offer and these terms and conditions without notice in the event of a catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, act of God or any actual or anticipated breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other event outside of their control, or otherwise at their sole discretion.